Webster Definition for "petroglyph"
pet.ro. glyph \'pe-tr*-. glif\ n
[F pe` troglyphe, fr. pe`tr- petr- + -glyphe (as in hie`] roglyphe
hieroglyph) : a carving or inscription on a rock
HTTP webster interface by email@example.com
Petroglyph pages at other sites:
- William D.
Hyder's personal page from Zzyx.
- The Three Rivers Petroglyph Site
Lee's Rock Art Images
- Northwestern Ontario Pictographs
5 of How the Shaman Stole the Moon by William H. Calvin
- Chaco Canyon
page on the 1054
- Southwestern Archaeology
- Approximately a dozen photographs of petroglyphs are found at the
Special Collections and Archives
Department, Cline Library, Northern Arizona University
- The Archaeology of Rock-Art, Christopher Chippindale, Paul S. C. Tacon (Editors),
- Cambridge University Press. (Hardcover)
- Canyon Country: Prehistoric Rock Art , Fran Barnes, Wasatch Pub.
- Canyon De Chelly: Its People and Rock Art, Campbell Grant , Univ. Arizona Press.
- The Cave Paintings of Baja California:
Discovering the Great Murals of an Unknown People,
- Harry W. Crosby, Lowell Lindsay (Editor), Sunbelt Pub.
- A Field Guide to Rock Art Symbols of the Greater Southwest, Alex Patterson.
- A Guide to Rock Art Sites: Southern California and Southern Nevada, David S. Whitley , Mountain Press.
- Images in Stone: Southwest Rock Art, Polly Schaafsma, David Muench (Photographer), Browntrout Pub.
- Indian Rock Art of the Southwest, Polly Schaafsma, Univ. of New Mexico Press.
- Kokopelli: Fluteplayer Images in Rock Art, Dennis Slifer, James Duffield , Ancient City Press.
- Legacy on Stone: Rock Art of the Colorado Plateau and Four Corners Region,
- Sally J. Cole, Johnson Books.
- On the Trail of Spider Woman: Petroglyphs, Pictographs, and Myths of the Southwest,
- Carol Patterson-Rudolph , Ancient City Press.
- Painted Dreams: Native American Rock Art, Thor Conway, Gerry Ellis (Photographer), NorthWord Press.
- Petroglyphs: Ancient Language/Sacred Art, Sabra Moore, Clear Light.
- Petroglyphs and Pictographs of Utah:
The East and Northeast, Kenneth B. Castleton, Univ. Utah Press.
- Postcard-Images in Stone Southwest Rock Art, Browntrout Pub.
- Rock Art of the American Southwest , Fred Hirschmann (Photographer), Scott Thybony,
- Graphics Arts Center Pub.
- The Rock Art of Texas Indians, Forrest Kirkland (Illustrator), W. W., Jr Newcomb,
- Univ. Texas Press (Hardcover)
- The Rock Art of Utah: A Study from the Donald Scott Collection, Polly Schaafsma, Univ. Utah Press.
- Sentinels on Stone: The Petroglyphs of Los Alamos ,
- Betty Lilienthal, Dorothy Hoard, Los Alamos Historical Society.
- Signs of Life: Rock Art of the Upper Rio Grande, Dennis Slifer, High Lonesome Books.
- Warrior, Shield & Star: Imagery & Ideology of Pueblo Warfare, Polly Schaafsma, Mountain Press.
Back to Conventions
Back to Kokopelli
Back to the Introduction
Back to the Second Trip to I'itoi's Cave
Back to Day 1
Back to Day 4
Back to Day 6
Back to Day 10